Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Trip to Tozeur (Part V, Finale)

Salt Lake and Douz

Venturing our way out from Tozeur to Douz, we made a quick stop at the giant salt lake of Chott el Jerid. We begun passing the villages, and things started to turn from green palm tree to white arid landscape, and here where I really understood the real meaning of word "FATA MORGANA" I saw it myself, and it's quite stunning how my eyes manipulated my senses. While we had our time to take pictures of the breathtaking landscape, some people risked their shoes by walking on the salt lake, well, I did too, but I was safe, not not everyone was so lucky. I knew a couple of people who had to deal with the disaster of the dirts all over their shoes and feet (details).




Then we arrived at Douz, a dusty village which claims itself as the gate to the desert of Tunisia. It's quite remarkable to see about 300 camels waiting to give us ride for our lunch. At the beginning, no one knew about special lunch transfer arranged by the Tunisian government, so I was one of those who refused to climb up on the back of those camel. I tried to argue with them that I prefered to walk around since my only interest was to take pictures, but then they gotten pushy by saying that's the only mean of transport to my lunch, unless I prefered to do my fasting :(

I had a very "nice" camel, which named Mustafa. He loved to take a short cut in front of other's, by climbing on the dune and went down in a sprint style. I quite freaked out by him, so...only way to reduced my fear was by shouting..."...arghhhhhhhhh". After 30 minutes ride, I think Mustafa now became a "deaf-camel" thanks to me hahahahahaha


-Mustafa-

Lunch is quite cool, we're eating, again, in the middle of the desert with not so great weather. But at least we got companied by the traditional dances and musics, and even more special, the menu of that day was "meat cooked in the sand" and salad with the "horse's cheese". Trust me, I wasn't so brave to stick my fork on them :(




But then, the end of the day approached us faster than we expected. That's the last day of our "fun" trip to Tozeur. We closed that day by having a gala-diner at one of the Chic-place at the center of Tozeur - great dinner (with lots of lamb's menu) with belly dancer and fashion shows.




It's quite a remarkable trips, even though there were sometimes things getting hard to digest (like camel meats, lambs everywhere while I am allergic to it). I wasn't sure if I would ever want to return to Tozeur, but at least, I have BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

See you at my next trip to....SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: