Thursday, August 19, 2010

I found treasures !

Searching the storage room at home, among tons of craps, I found 4 good stuffs. 4 "like new" Cokin filters including a Cokin filter holder. Those four filters are : Cokin Radial Zoom A 185, Cokin Pastel 1A 86, Cokin Pastel 2A 87, and Cokin Color Diffuser A 089.


I did some tests with those filters, just to figure out how to use them to get the optimal result, by putting the filter holder on my EF 50mm f/1.4 USM which was mounted on Canon EOS 5D mark II. Please note that I set the ISO of my camera to automatic, and I did the shots on f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2.8, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11.0 and f/16.0 (except for the radial zoom, I also did it on f/22.0). After playing for a while, here are my conclusion :

Cokin Radial Zoom A 185 - certainly my least favorite filter. You really need to be so patient to move the filter on its holder until you can have a clear view of your object, and don't forget to put the aperture of your lens to minimum (on the picture below, I put the aperture to f/22.0)


Cokin Pastel 1A 86 - great for portrait. I figured out that you can use it easily at any aperture, depends on how you would like your pictures look like. Below you may find pictures that I took on f/1.4 , f/5.6, f/8.0 and f/16.0. Feel free to choose which one is you like the best ;)

Cokin Pastel 2A 87 - great for closeup. I like it best when I put it on the maximum aperture, in this case f/1.4. It has more intense "blur" compare to the Pastel 1A 86.


Last but not least is the Cokin Color Diffuser A089. It gives a beautiful color vignette around your picture. There is one area in the middle of the filter which is colorless, so basically, before taking picture, you need to move the filter on its holder and put the colorless part on the point where you want to put your focus on, otherwise, trust me, your camera will having problems in finding it's autofocus. I like it best when I took picture on f/8.0 and f/11.0. It shows more sharpness of the object and also the color on the "vignette".

Below you may find pictures I took with those diffusers on f/1.4, f/5.6, f/8.0 and f/16.0. Except for the test on Cokin Color Diffuser A089, f/1.4 , f/8.0, f/11.0 and f/16.0.
Feel free to choose which one you like the best ;)

Test on Cokin Pastel 1A 86


Test on Cokin Pastel 2A 87


Test on Cokin Color Diffuser A 089


Have fun,


Novita *_*

No comments: